Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Everyday Math - Ugghhh

Aidan is doing "Everyday Math". For those of you who don't know what it is, sorry I can't help you.

The only thing I can say about it is - it works. I don't know how or why, but it works.

So last night he has homework in which he has to cut something out of the homework paper, fold & glue it to make a shape. Then he has to answer questions about the shape.
The first question is: What is this 3-D shape called?
Thank God they send home an answer book at the beginning of the year. Why it's a pentagonal prism of course. At this point I'm thinking "Aidan's 3rd grade math homework is going to kick my butt again!"
Question 2: What is the shape of the base?
A-HA!! I know this one! It's a pentagon!
Question 3: What is the shape of the other faces?
Once I again - I know!! I know!! A rectangle.
Question 4: How many edges does in have?
We use a marker to count the edges...The suspense is killing me! It has 15 edges.
Question 5: How many vertices does the shape have?
Tracy's question: What the heck are vertices?
After a quick consult of the book, I discover that vertices are corners. My little math whiz says there are 10 vertices, five on the bottom and five on the top.
Thank goodness somebody pays attention in class because it sure isn't me!

No comments: