Monday, August 6, 2007

POTTER COUNTY HEAVEN 2007

Well, we are back from ten, county 'em ten action packed days in Potter County. Okay maybe action packed is a bit of a stretch, but nonetheless, it was still a very relaxing vacation.

I love going to Cherry Springs because first, it is the only vacation I've ever really known.

I mean I've been to Florida & a couple other vacations with my parents & sisters, but Potter County is well, consistent.

I know before I ever go that it is going to be relaxing & there will be lots of time to do absolutely NOTHING. I know that my family (parents, sisters, brother-in-law, nephew, uncles, aunts & cousins) will all be there & I will get to spend the week with all of them in one place.

That to me is one of the best things.

Another awesome things is the fact that there is no electricity. That means no television, no computer & no X-Box. The boys have got to use their imaginations & make their own fun. Almost everything they do involves something physical, they run from our campsite up the hill to Saba & Shamma's or Em & Dan's or they sit & play cards...it's good for their minds.

During the course of the week we...

Went to an informational lecture given by the park that was about the history of Cherry Springs State Park & the C.C.C. Mom asked a question about this structure located across the road to Galeton from the park.

The park naturalist said she believed it was old well. The funny thing is, neither Jerry nor I had ever noticed in our 33 years if camping at Cherry Springs.



Jerry, Michael, Jason, Austin, Aidan & I also went to Coudersport one day & on our way back we drove out to the Cherry Springs Vista Overlook.















The view was spectacular & sometimes it's hard for me to believe that this is in Pennsylvania.
Dad took Jerry, Steve & Jason golfing on Wednesday & that night the boys went up on the old airport runway & tried out each other's golf clubs. Apparently Steve really likes Jason's new driver & Jason can't hit it worth a crap. He shanks it to the right every time.





Maggie, Charlie & I walked up to the runway to watch them. On the way Charlie stopped at Jason's truck & turned on the siren & lights. I was so proud!


Steve was instructing Maggie on the proper way to swing a golf club (yeah..right - notice his hand placement?)















And look at Maggie, Charlie & I. Aren't we just the cutest?







On Thursday night, we went to Gary's Putt Putt - It's More Than Miniature. Included in our golfing crew was Dad, Mom, Maggie, Steve, Charlie, Dan, Andy, Austin, Aidan, Tricia, Jerry & I. Matt & Emily went on a paddle boat ride while the rest of us golfed.


The greens were a little tricky, but we all emerged unscathed & anxiously awaiting a call from the PGA.




Friday & Saturday I spent most of these days with Dad & Mom. I am definitely sure that we will be camping up with them next year.

I guess I don't really think about how much I miss them until I am with them & then it slaps me in the face how much fun they are & how much I truly miss them.

On Saturday, Jerry & I walked up to the Woodsmen's Show . There really wasn't a whole bunch of stuff up there. It's kind of sad to see the decline of something that used to be quite an event.

Jerry & I walked back down & then Jerry went back up with Austin to watch the Woodsmen's Show.

I remember the taffy people who had the most delicious cinnamon flavored taffy, then huge tractors with the tires we could sit in, Re-Creation from Penn-State coming to sing, thousands of people coming to see the show. It's definitely not like this anymore.

Also on Saturday night, we had a bit of a (sniff-sniff) sentimental moment. Somehow, Kevin's wood name plate got unscrewed from the Swavely sign & ended up in the fire.










Sunday, we packed up and headed back to Berks County. I will go & do some laundry tonight & will finish it up later in the week.

Another successful year & we are all waiting with baited breath until next.

No comments: