Sunday, April 27, 2008

Bring your kids to work?!??!?

This past Thursday was bring your child to work day. So, being the parents of the year that we are, Jerry took Austin & I took Aidan.

I don't have Austin's report (because he didn't do it yet), but Aidan & I sat down Thursday afternoon & wrote down everything that he did with me at the high school cafeteria.

Here's Aidan's report:

I went to work with Mom today at the Governor Mifflin High School Cafeteria. Mom is a cashier there. When we got there, I used Mom's I.D. badge and scanned it so the door would open. Mom introduced me to her boss and some of the other ladies she works with. Then I helped fill the fruit bowls with apples and bananas. Then we filled the cream cheese and jelly basket. We carried those back to the snack line. Mom carried the bagel bin back too.

Then we filled the snack rack with a lot of different kinds of snacks like chips, pretzels, popcorn and iced animals crackers. One of the ladies that works with Mom said that the snack rack looked the best it ever had because I did it.

We pushed the snack cart in the back & then I pushed the button to make the gate go up in the back. After the gate went up, I helped Mom push out the table with the napkins and straws on it. I also pushed out the tray and silverware cart. I got a blue Power Ade and waited for the bell to ring to start lunch.

Here I am standing by Mom's cash register.

Lunch started and a lot of kids started coming in. I stood by Mom and handed out Uncrustable Sandwiches and Fruit Gushers. I also helped Mom put the money in the cash register and sometimes told her how much change she needed to give.

My friend Matt is a senior and when he came in for lunch he scooped me up and took me over to his table. I sat with him for a little bit and then went back to helping Mom. A boy named Joe came through the line and tipped me 95 cents. I used it to buy Welch's Fruit Snacks.

When lunch was over, I went into the back and Lisa who makes the hoagies had made me a special sandwich of roast beef and American cheese. I also got a bag of Baked Barbecue Lays.

I helped wash off tables and saw my cousin Scott. I helped Mom scrub out the sinks and dry them.

That was all I did when I went to work with Mom.

Okay, I got Austin's report. Here it is:

On April 24, 2008 I went to work with my Dad. He works at Lin Good & Son Heating and Air Conditioning. He has worked there for the past 16 years. I learned a lot of things while I was with him. I went on a really slow day.

First we went to a new house and checked the air pressure in the pipes for the heating system. The pipes will be hidden by dry wall, so everything has to work correctly because after they cover them with dry wall, they will be a pain to get to.

At the second house we laid out the house with hot water piping locations for a new heating system.

Finally at the third house, we found a buried oil tank that needs to be filled with concrete when we install a new tank in the basement.

We went back to Lin Good & Son where my dad had to do some really confusing paperwork to figure out the heating system for the second house.

To finish off the day we went on the roof of the shop with Nate, one of the guys my dad dad works with, to look at the air conditioning unit that they had installed on the roof the week before that is rattling. I climbed up the ladder to the roof which is about 20 feet in the air and my dad told me to stay away from the edge. That was about all I did on my day at work with Dad.

So, you can see they were both busy & Jerry & I think they had fun.

I may post again today to show you the amazing containers we planted on Saturday. Ooh-la-la!!

No comments: